View Single Post
Old 08-02-06, 14:19

[quote=nirofo]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruchai

Hi ruchai

Why do you say there is optimum distance from the subject and not the more further back the better, magnification is a combination of the focal distance from the subject to the lens and the focal length of the lens, so unless you have a specific reason to get physically very close to the subject a longer focal length macro lens has the advantage of obtaining the macro image size at a greater distance, therefore less stress for the subject. As I pointed out, a 90mm 1/1 macro becomes a 135mm 1/1 macro on a Nikon DSLR, (probably similar on Canon, not sure.) For insect macro work I would think being able to shoot at 1/1 on a 135mm lens is very useful and desirable.

nirofo.
Hi mirofo
Long focal length lens magnify camera shaking more than short focal length lens. Many time hand holding is prefer. You can move the camera to different angles etc. So there must be the best focal length for each situation. You know 1000mm is too long 12mm is too short. That why I said there is an optimum focal length for macro lens. From my experience I think around 100mm equivalent (65mm film camera lens when use with dslr) is the right focal length. Pro photographer had been using 100mm macro lens for film cameras for decades. When they switched to dslr they may not want to buy a new lens and prefer to sacrifice as the different is not all that much.