View Single Post
Old 24-06-10, 17:09

You obviously know little about DSLR photography yet, it's only by perseverance and applying the same methodical approach you used with film that you will see results that are every bit as good as film if not better. I now consistantly turn out more and in most cases better pictures than I ever did with film. The cameras are so advanced now, my Nikon D300 and D200 give me results I could only dream about with film cameras, don't get me wrong, I still prefer the quality of Velvia 50 for landscapes, but for wildlife the D300 is in a different league. I'm easily able to use it at 800 ASA with no apparent loss of detail or sharpness, I sometimes have difficulty in telling the differnce between shots taken at 200 ASA and 800 ASA. The metering and autofocus is superb, it's so accurate and fast, if there's anything better then I don't know how you can tell. None of my film cameras, including Nikon FM2n, F90X, F100 etc were even close, they were very good but have been left behind trailing in the dust, I still have several of them but they very rarely see the light of day now. I used to wait for sometimes up to 3 weeks for Mr Kodac or Mr Fuji to get his finger out and send me my developed colour slides, usually by that time if you needed to reshoot a natural history subject it was too late. Not so with digital, I can assess what the image will look like on the camera viewing screen, take the shot, assess it again on the viewing screen and if necessary make any adjustments to composition, focussing, aperture ect. I can insert the compact flash card into the card reader on my computer, download the days images, assess them on my large computer screen and render the best RAW files into TIFFS for working on in Photoshop at my leisure. Compare that to film, after waiting an eternity for my slides to drop through the letter box, I assess the slides, pick out the best ones on the light box using an 8X loupe, I set up my slide scanner, scan in the best slides to the computer, (takes ages). Now we are at the point where film becomes digital!

nirofo.

Last edited by nirofo; 24-06-10 at 17:17.