View Single Post
Old 26-06-10, 12:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gidders View Post
So Did I Alex, and I agree that those cameras taught you/me/us in a way that the modern dSLR does not... However I believe that was NOT because they were film cameras ... but because they were manual cameras. My first 35mm SLR was manual focus and manual exposure control - no auto or semi auto mode. The only help you got was split screen focusing & match needle metering. Film & processing were both expensive (to me anyway) so this all forced you to think about what you were doing - choose your shutter speed & aperture, think about you composition etc in a way that that a dSLR doesn't. That said my keep rate was still only 3~5/roll ... but again I agree still better that I achieve now.

However your post has made me think .... how about this for an idea ... go out with the camera set on manual exposure and take just one 256 memory card and see what you came back with.

BTW if your interest is B&W I can strongly recommend Silver Efex Pro which can simulate all your B&W film styles, paper types and toning techniques from your digital files . Not cheep but they offer a 15 day trial
As you say the fact the camera is manual is the primary driving factor behind the extra care taken. However the fact it is film and the number of photos is limited (and that they cost money) also encourages me to think carefully about each frame. The difference is a bit like the difference between having a 4-hour long dinner at a fancy restaurant and dropping in for a burger at McDonalds.

Much as I believe Silver Efex Pro is a good piece of software I think the real deal is simply more convincing. Not to mention that 200 dollars buys me A LOT of film and chemicals... B&W developing is really cheap these days and a decent scanner can be had for 80 quid - all the convenience of digital with the experience and look of film!