View Single Post
Old 01-01-06, 17:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by ollieholmes
I will wait. But i am the kind of person that likes to realy get to know the camera before. And my photography interests dont just lie in aeroplanes.
If you're going to get body + kit lens, the 18-55 kit item will certainly let you get to know the camera very well. By all means buy a 50mm prime too as Stephen has advised, if you can afford it, they are fast, sharp and cheap.

Kit lenses offer fantastic VFM when purchased with a new body and are useful learning tools. They are often slated on forums as rubbish by new users, very often unfairly as the faults sometimes lie elsewhere. Granted, kit lenses aren't the best, but they can produce excellent results if you work within their limitations. With every new lens you buy, there's a steep learning curve to go through.

I have a Pentax 100-300 that cost £460 new in 1994, wish I'd saved up longer and bought something with longer reach for airshows. Lenses cost a lot more in those days and you didn't have the digital "crop factor" to assist you. Just trying to stop you making the same mistakes.

Duncan.