View Single Post
Old 29-12-06, 16:25

Hi I photograph insects all the time, especially when running a moth trap. It is a given standard that no insect or animal is put under any stress and the practise of "chilling" insects is a real no no!

Whilst Duncans arguments are sound re daily dangers it should be born in mind that many of the larger Moths or Macros have declined in numbers and many are down by some 30-40%.

Chilling an insect puts it under stress. The animal will beat its wings rapidly in order to maintain body temparature and flight muscles. Chilling them weakens them and leaves them vulnerable to attack.

Whilst I am sure many photographers using this method would place the insect in undergrowth to protect it afterward they are still very vulnerable to predation.

Any insect caught for the purpose of photography should be placed in a roomy box with some egg cartons to hide in and released at night.

Butterflys should never be chilled and realeased as they are more vulnerable to predation. They should be photographed at source. That is Study the insect, get to know its habits and more than anything be "PATIENT".

OK off my soap box!!
Regards
Nogbad