View Single Post
Old 08-01-06, 23:49
Admin

It's a method that produces respectable results (and was a standard method for many in the 80's and 90's) , but this is turning the scope into an f10 800mm lens and that's awfully restrictive light-wise. the view in the camera viewfinder will be very dark indeed with a dslr like the d70... on a dull day, almost too dark to ascertain focus.

With my old 35mm bodies and a 77mm Kowa scope, ASA800 was the norm for anything like a sensible shutter speed.

As I said, results were quite good, slightly softer and less contrast than a genuine lens but certainly ok for a 10x8 print... I still wouldn't go much more than saying it's a birder's method for 'record shots', a Sigma 50-500mm would be better by a margin (and with the luxury of AF)

cheers,
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leif
As the title says.

I have a Leica APO 77 scope and a D70. If I stuck a Leica camera adaptor on the scopes and took photos with a D70 or better, how good would the images be compared to a decent prime lens?

Let's assume that I've solved the vibration issues, so it's just the lens quality that is the deciding factor. I believe th camera adaptor doubles the lens focal length. So assuming the scope is ~F5, this means that with the camera adaptor the resulting focal length is ~800mm.

I assume that the quality would not be that good as no-one seems to use a scope in this manner. Or maybe it's the shutter vibration and slow F number that turns people off?

Leif