View Single Post
Old 30-03-06, 21:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine
....... so whether to use,P,auto,or portrait,and whether or not to use the 550 EX flash unit(I think that is the one) or the cameras own built in.Someone did suggest it may be better to have the unit pointing in the air,rather than bent over.
......Just wish I had someone to practise on,apart from the dog-who is black!!.
Hi Christine,

This gets tricky - 2 Christines here and on another thread 2 Stephens.

To try to answer your question on flash, it would have to be the 550 EX and not the built in.
Two reasons for that. The built in unit is of very low power, and because of its closeness to the lens axis ' red eye ' becomes a major problem.

I have been reading a bit on the link I posted re Canon flash, and that suggests that flash exposure is controlled by E-TTL II so you do not have to make fancy exposure calculations.

Even if you were to join in taking pictures rather than be the main photographer the best investment you coul make would be the Stofen I described in post 17. That attatched to your 550 EX will give far superior results in comparison to a compact.

My suggestion would be to get the Stofen and practice on ( hope I've got this right ) Barry at a distance and close up.

Which ever way you decide to go that practice will be invaluable.

If you are unsure of my advice you can prove it yourself.
1) Do a series of pics with the pop up.
2) Repeat with the 550 EX. Remember when you look at the shadows there will be softer shadows with the Stofen if you had one.

For these tests set the camera on Program. When you get the pics up on your computer the exif info will tell you what shutter speed and aperture the camera selected.

I will stop there before this becomes a book.

Don

Last edited by Don Hoey; 30-03-06 at 22:38.