Thread: First camera
View Single Post
Old 14-11-11, 17:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangata View Post
This is only my experience; other people may have different experiences. I bought a Sony α350 in January 2009. It came with two kit lenses, an 18 to 70 mm and a 55 to 200. The body was built in Japan, the lenses were built in China.

Although it didn’t have all the functions that a Canon or Nikon could offer, I was pleased with the body and with the photographs I was getting.

In June 2010 the 18 to 70 mm lens started making loud mechanical noises; the plastic gear ring for focusing required replacement.

In May this year it started making the same noises as did the 55 to 200 mm lens, which had had a lot less use.

I decided to replace the lot and bought a Canon 60D with a couple of lenses that each cost more than the entire Sony kit. Since then I have probably taken more photographs with the Canon than I did with the Sony, without any problems.

Possibly Sony has improved their quality control, but it was clear when I took my lens in for repair that it wasn’t the first that they had seen and that they knew exactly what was the problem.
Thanks, definitely don't want that experience, although it may not happen if I bought from Sony, it is a risk...I won't have enough money to replace lenses or to repair them after buying the camera, a couple of lenses and accessories.

The Canon 60D was the camera I originally looked at, but given the price, I decided I may want to start cheaper then upgrade if I wanted to.

I really appreciate your reply, it has made me think a lot more about my choice, I am now certain that Canon will always have the better build quality.

Just out of interest, seeing as you have the 60D, do you think it is worth buying the battery grip for this camera? If I am lucky enough to buy a camera (possibly 60D). I am going to Iceland next year and would like to know if I will be better/easier to either carry a spare battery or two, or buy the grip, it isn't too expensive. I like the extra shutter button feature and it has it's own controls, so based on this, what do you think?

Thanks and All the Best

James