View Single Post
Old 19-02-06, 15:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annette
Christine I think that maybe because your 20d is your main bird photography camera you feel more comfortable using it as there really is no real difference between the two cameras, apart from the 20d shooting more frames per second which can be useful for some action shots. In the end which camera someone chooses comes down to personal preference.
Like Christine, I have both these bodies. Having used the 20D for several months with my 400mm f5.6 and now the 350D on this lens, I have seen no real difference in quality between the two. The 350D is so light, that hand-holding with the 400mm is great.

I find the setting controls on the 350D a little awkward (mainly menu driven similar to a digital compact) and the 20D more familiar (similar to Canon film bodies I used in the past). The 350D's LCD info display on the rear, rather than top is great for tripod work, which the 20D doesn't have. However, the 350D colour screen is not as crisp as the 20D's with a very small viewing angle (i.e. you have to be right behind to view).

I have a grip on the 20D, but not the 350D (which I want to keep small and light). I find the 20D + grip very comfortable to use, but also have found the small 350D equally comfortable - which is a real suprise.

My thoughts - both cameras are excellent, for their price, and I have a different use for each. The 20D is almost always on my 500mm and tripod, the 350D on a 400mm or wider zoom for hand holding. The biggest surprise is how comfortable I have found holding the 350D - I had thought it would be too small without a grip, even after testing in the shop when looking for the 20D.

Cheers

Mark.