View Single Post
Old 13-01-06, 00:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Sharp
I've bought a few things on e-bay from Hong Kong without any hassle, including from Digitalrev, my first digital camera a Fuji s7000, for at least £150 cheaper than I could source it in the UK then. I've also bought items from the USA. I wasn't on any occasion charged tax for any of the items, in some cases the items were forwarded labelled as "gifts"!

I recall reading somewhere that cameras aren't taxed at the same rate as lenses, the latter being higher? I never did find out why this is so it may depend on the item being imported as to how vigourous they impose the duty?

Has anyone found an online supplier from Gibraltar? They are part of the UK so purchasing from there wouldn't be seen as importing and generally many things, inc camera equipment, is substantially cheaper!
Having done a little research into this, I understand it as follows:

You can 'import' from any EU country without duty or VAT, so this would exclude Gibraltar. However, small countries, principalities etc, (e.g. Isle of Man) have special clauses so often as if in EU. The EU defines the import duty levied as a percentage of the goods value, including shipping. This duty is specified in TARIC (I think).

Specifically, a Camera or other camera related goods (but not a lens) are currently charged at 3.7% duty. Lenses are charged at 6.7%. (based on import from the US).

This duty, plus VAT, are payable to the delivery man when he brings the parcel to your door. Many, if not all, delivery companies will also charge a fee for handling the duty & VAT payment with customs. This is between 8 and 13 GBP for Parcel force.

I think that you can defer payment of the duty and VAT for 30 days if you agree to pay by direct debit. There is a form to be filled in, and worth finding out about if importing a 600mm f4. I have no idea how this works though.

The gift allowance for importing parcels is 36 GBP. So a company that marks a parcel as a gift can, in theory, only insure it for up to 36 GBP. Also, if customs deem the parcel contents to be worth more than that, you are responsible for paying the full import duty and VAT.

Cheers, Mark.