Thread: 35mm Film SLR
View Single Post
Old 18-12-05, 12:37

I would agree with Tannin.

I have used film since the 60's, used more cameras than you could throw a stick at, and had a darkroom on and off for most of that time.

When the D100 came out with 6 mega pixels I thought it was time to dip my toe in the digital pond.

The result - all my darkroom gear is in the loft and I have not shot film since. Now I used to spend hours in the darkroom and thoroughly enjoyed it, but ease of processing on a computer - no mixing chemicals - washing everything up at 2:00 in the morning and cost just did it for me. For my digital darkroom I also bought Genuine Fractals which allows for big quality enlargements. Use of this showed just how good digital now is.

With digital I think you just take more pictures, as once you have the kit there are no cost thoughts until you print. Dead shots cost nothing so you can afford to experiment.

As an aside on the subject of cost of cameras, when I bought my 'cut down dream' Nikkormat in 1967 it cost the equivalent of 12 weeks wages - body only. My 'dream' the Nikon F was well out of my reach at nearly 6 months wages !!!!!!!!!