View Single Post
Old 12-07-06, 23:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpw
I have just upgraded my 10D (broke it) to a 1D Mark II N (had it a few days), and I’m trying to understand the ‘Picture Style’ parameter settings (sharpness, contrast, saturation, colour tone) and 'Color Space' settings.

I shoot in RAW and I’m comfortable with post-processing images (happy to learn). Should I choose Neutral or Faithful Picture Styles (not sure of the difference between the two as all parameters are set to zero) and use Photoshop to influence the sharpness, saturation, etc, or should I choose one of the other styles and include some in-camera sharpening, etc?

What Colour Space should I use? If I intend to process my images on Photoshop, should I use Adobe RGB (the manual recommends sRGB)? With the 10D, I also had a choice of influencing the parameters, but if I chose Adobe RGB, all the parameter settings would revert to standard, presumably assuming that I’d want to add sharpness, saturation, etc, after the event. I used sRGB, but without fully understanding why.

With my new camera, according to page 53 of the manual, the RAW image is affected by the parameter settings, including sharpness. I may have missed something, but I cannot find any mention in the manual of what happens to the parameter settings if I select Adobe RGB, so I’m assuming that the parameter settings will still influence the image if I choose Adobe RGB as the colour space (unlike my 10D)?

What do others do with these settings?
Paul, so far as I can tell we are the only two people on the forum that are using this camera. I upgraded from a 20D back in April this year, and like you am to some extent still familiarising myself with the camera. Like you I use totally Raw for shooting and had assumed that the Picture Style mode was something that only applied to JPEGs. However if the manual says that Picture style setting are applied to the Raw image then I accept that. However I never use these parameters, and indeed question the need to do so when using Raw. The point of Raw is that you stay in full control of your images from start to finish, allowing the software, in my case CS2 to do the processing to my own personal taste. In the case of sharpening ACR is always set to the default of 25. White balance is set to Auto in the camera and I simply adjust it to suit in ACR.

As for Colour Space, I always have the camera set to sRGB and will have ACR set to Adobe 1998 if I am going to use the processed image to print from on my own printer which can take advantage of the wider colour gamut that results from this. If I am going to supply digital files to clients, have them commercially printed or simply use them for web use, I will process the files in sRGB.

Hope this is of some use, but please come back if there is something else and I'll try to give you my take on it.

PS I forgot to ask how are you finding the camera. For my own part, the more I use it the more I love it, infact I think its an awesome machine

Last edited by Stephen; 12-07-06 at 23:38.