View Single Post
Old 13-07-06, 00:21

Thanks for your reply Stephen.

I got the camera on Saturday last, and used it on Sunday – a very gloomy day – and twice in the evenings, so it’s very early days for me. I love the build and feel of the camera and the speed, but I haven’t been overly happy with my initial results, which is why I’m asking the questions about the settings. Having said that, I’ve been experimenting in PS this evening and I’ve made some progress. I’ve had Picture Style set at Neutral, which is described as ‘natural colours, dull tones and no sharpening’, and I suspect the images were coming off my 10D a little sharper and more colourful.

I used ACR initially, but didn’t get on with it, which I suspect was down to inexperience rather than anything else. I now use BreezeBrowser Pro, which I’m very happy with (I notice Adobe require me to upgrade to CS2 if I want to process RAW in Photoshop, which makes me angry even though I don’t use it, but that’s another story).

With my 10D I had a routine for processing pictures in BreezeBrowser and PS that I was happy with, varying it where required to suit individual images. I just need to develop a new strategy for processing images from the MkII N. I currently only put my images on the WEB so I’ll stick with sRGB; as you say, I can always change this in my RAW converter if needed. I need to decide on in-camera parameter setting as a starting point (even though these setting are not really important and can be overridden on conversion), and then determine some ‘standard’ sharpening, curves, hue/saturation, etc, values as a starting point.

I notice in your thread that you rarely need to add sharpening? I wonder where you have the Picture Style set? From my initial trials, and with the ‘Neutral’ setting, I suspect I will need to, although it’s early days yet and maybe I’m just not using the camera well?