View Single Post
Old 13-07-06, 14:37

Thanks for that Paul. I have read something like like this before and as a result had always assumed that no in camera processing inc sharpening was applied to the Raw file. However I see that this was written by Chuck Westfall, who is often treated like God when it comes to Canon technical issues. I can remember also reading something on a Canon site after the 300D was released which stated clearly that its in camera sharpening was greater than that of the higher spec models. I've never been able to find it since and wonder if it was pulled as canon didn't want it generally known to be the case.

I suppose this is something that could be clarified on some of the dedicated Canon forums. I for one would certainly maintain that for me using the standard paprameter settings which appears to have a Level 3 sharpening applied that 300%usm is rather high, though I have used under 50 at 0.3 radius and 0 threshold on images for web use after downsizing. These days I rend to be happy with the bicubic sharper setting in Save for Web though

Whilst I do take landscapes for pleasure and personal work I also use my camera and lenses for much closer work. Like you I have found that investing in the more expensive L series glass has paid dividends.