View Single Post
Old 23-07-06, 17:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpw
As far as I understand it, the Faithful setting does nothing to the image (I'm sure that's not possible, but you know what I mean). I'm therefore interested to know what type and degree of sharpening you do in PS, particularly with bird shots? I notice that the images are quite soft with the Faithful setting.

The difficulty for me at this stage is, I don't know how much my results are down to the camera settings or how much they're down to my lack of experience with the camera.
I think that the soft image when using faithful is due to the anti-aliasing applied by the camera to the image. I am still experimenting with when and what to sharpen to reduce this and have started to look at applying some during RAW conversion and then my normal sharpening after processing (either for web or print). For the final sharpening I have been using the Focal Blade plugin or I sometimes just use the standard USM filter if Focal Blade increased the noise in the background too much.

I also think part of the 'soft feel' to the images comes from lack of contrast with the Faithfull setting.

Updated: www.rusticolus.co.uk
Tumblelog: mjmw.tumblr.com