View Single Post
Old 23-07-06, 17:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by mw_aurora
I think that the soft image when using faithful is due to the anti-aliasing applied by the camera to the image. I am still experimenting with when and what to sharpen to reduce this and have started to look at applying some during RAW conversion and then my normal sharpening after processing (either for web or print). For the final sharpening I have been using the Focal Blade plugin or I sometimes just use the standard USM filter if Focal Blade increased the noise in the background too much.

I also think part of the 'soft feel' to the images comes from lack of contrast with the Faithfull setting.

Undoubtedly you are right about the anti-aliasing filter giving soft images. DSLR's produce inherantly soft images if in camera sharpening is switched off when compared with the average digicam.

However I doubt it has anything to do with lack of contrast in the Faithful setting. My images use the default 'Standard' setting and they seem to have good contrast.

I have to re-itterate what I have mentioned before, that using the 'Standard' setting which has a level 3 sharpening set and 0 in the others seems to produce pin sharp images that require no further sharpening. Having said that Adobe Camera Raw does have a default sharpening of 25 which I leave. I have found in the past using other cameras that increasing this to 50 gives a good result.

If Paul had not made me aware of the 1DMkIIN applying sharpening to the Raw file as default, I would have been happy and somewhat smug in the assumption that this was the sharpest camera I have ever owned