View Single Post
Old 30-01-13, 13:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdsnapper View Post
The lens should give good results if they are not damaged - I think that can be used on digital cameras (you will have to check) but manual focus only.

They should be OK in cloudy conditions. For strong sunlight you will need a small aperture (a large 'f number'). One advantage of more advanced digital cameras is the ability to set the ISO (the sensitivity to light), whereas you'll have to decide the sensitivity of the film you intend using - I used 200 ISO as a general film, but other people might disagree.

M42 lenses can indeed be used on most DSLRs, and have gained quite a following in some circles. Few zooms from such early days are worth bothering with but many of the primes are very good. They are basically fully manual, Even the 'auto' versions only close the aperture to the preselected setting prior to taking the shot (keeping it fully open for composition & focusing).

My own experience with my film SLRs allowed the use of quite wide appertures even in bright sunlight, with f4 being about the limit for ISO100. (My DSLRs have faster shutters so I can just about get away with f1.7 without needing filters, not that I've seen much bright sunshine in the last couple of months)

Pentax K5ii & Panasonic G5 user (with far too many bits to list)
Member of North Essex Photographic Workshop
Also online with PentaxUser.co.uk, Flickr, MU-43, MFLenses...