Thread: 20D vs 400D
View Single Post
Old 21-03-07, 11:34

I agree with you both. (Roy and Postcardcv, I mean - I'm too modest to agree with Yelvertoft.) Yes, Roy, the 20D/30D/5D controls are clearly superior to the 350D/400D controld, especially the big wheel, which gives you the ability to change two things without fiddling about pressing buttons. (For me, this is aperture and EC; a button press gives me ISO on the wheel, but it's partially customisable.)

And I agree with you too Postcardcv that there is absolutely nothing wrong with the controls on the 400D. (The 350D is almost the same, if I remember my brief experience with a friend's one at Christmas correctly.) Perfectly usable, and if you haven't spent any amount of time with a 20D/30D/5D, you wouldn't know what you are missing.

That's not to say that you are misssing much. I'd give the 400D 7 out of 10 for controls, and 8 out of 10 to the 30D - and I'm a very hard marker. I haven't seen any camera that I'd give 10 out of 10 to yet, though if I ever get my hands on a Pentax K10D I might, and looking at the specs for the 1D III that might rate a 9.

(Nikon users are probably wondering where this Canon man rates the Nikon bodies. Not sure, actually. I must have another play with my father's D70 next time I see him. Only I have to make sure that I don't like it too much as I have too much invested in Canon glass to change now!)

Errr ... I seem to be off topic. Again.