Thread: EVIL cameras...
View Single Post
Old 04-01-12, 00:25

Just about every comment and review that I've read on the 100-300mm lens has been favourable. It also has the advantage, from my point of view, at the 'macro' end where the Olympus lens (75-300mm) relies on the short end of the zoom for its closest focus which is not so good when you don't have a lot of time or the subject is a bit wary, which is often the case with my butterfly subjects. There's a good price advantage as well which is very useful when there's a whole new system to be purchased!

The latest Panasonic - the GX1 - with its improved optional EVF is a real contender alongside the EP3 as well.

I rather like the idea of detaching the EVF and using these types of cameras in the same way as other 'happy snappers' in the kind of situation where you don't want to draw attention to the fact that you're using a 'proper' camera. People can get a bit tetchy nowadays if they think you're aiming a serious camera anywhere near them whereas they wouldn't notice people holding compacts or phone-cams at arms' length.

http://www.birdforum.net/pp_gallery/...00/ppuser/1805

'Write when there is something you know: and not before: and not too damned much after' Ernest Hemingway