Thread: Flashgun advice
View Single Post
Old 08-11-09, 17:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew66610 View Post
i was looking for the off camera option and slave option and the sunpak flash doesnt seem to be able to do that.
Make sure you know exactly what you need to do to use ANY flash as a slave (presumably wireless). I don't know the detail of the Sony system, but I know that with some cameras, you need to use a second gun as the master controller for the remote slave. Not all cameras allow the pop-up to be used as a master controller. If this is the case, you would need to buy 2x Metz flashguns to operate as a wireless master/slave combo. This would not be cost effective, you've be better off buying a radio trigger, in which case you could plonk just about any old gun on the slave trigger.

Really, if you're going to get serious with flash, you want to be using it off camera. It's a fair bet you'll end up using the gun in fully manual control too. I use a simple PC synch cord with hotshoe adapters and have camera and gun in fully manual modes. This gives complete control and is very, very cheap to implement. You can see in my gallery some of the off-camera flash work I've done. Studio heads are all fully manual, it's the way to go to be in full control of the output.