View Single Post
Old 17-09-12, 21:56

Default Which camera to buy? Wildlife Photography Beginner

Hi everyone,

So I'm new to this forum and new to DSLRs but I'm hoping to get one sometime in the next year or two and I want to get as much advice and knowledge as possible before then.

Although my budget will realistically probably be quite small I'm trying not to think too much about a budget at the moment. I want to find out what would be the optimum kit for me and why and then work out where I'll have to make sacrifices. Honestly, I find some of the talk about different sensors and lenses and ISOs and multipliers and all that pretty confusing but I want to understand it as best I can so I know why certain things would and wouldn't work better for me. Here's hoping you guys can help.

I want to take wildlife shots most. This include super clear detailed close-ups of spiders and stuff and photos of animals that are harder to get close to like birds that fly/next really high or things that scare easily. So here are my questions:

1. I'm assuming I'd need to get a different lens for each kind of picture described but what kind of lenses do you think would be best?

2. How would this effect my choice in camera?

3. What are the most important other features/factors (megapixels, ISOs, etx.) for taking such photos? Are there any other special features I should look out for that would help me take such photos? (image stabilisation, etc.)

4. How should I choose what make to go with - are there many differences between the top makes and are there any things (lens, flashes, etc.) that you can use with different makes of cameras or are you definitely stuck with whatever make you choose (Nikon camera needs Nikon lens and all other accessories)?

5. For someone with a limited budget, do you think it'd be better to get a cheaper camera now and try and sell it and get a better camera (much) later on or really invest in one I'm really happy with and just upgrade it with better lenses? How much can a bad/adequate camera limit your photography even if you have great lenses and, vice versa, how much can cheap lenses limit photography even when using an amazing camera?

I think that's all for now but if anyone has any questions then feel free to ask.