View Single Post
Old 18-09-12, 10:43

Just a few thoughts.

Makes: Any of the well known makes are capable of superb photos. The advantage of the big two, Canon and Nikon, is that they have a very wide range of lenses and accessories and the independent lens makers like Sigma and Tamron always bring their lenses out in Canon and Nikon fit. Even if they do bring them out in other makers fit there is often a delay.

For close up of things like spiders a macro lens is the ideal which makes life easier and maximises quality but there are other cheaper methods like the use of auto extension tubes or close up filters. Flash is helpful too but often the built in flash works fine.

For birds and shy animals as long a lens as you can afford is needed. Birds in flight (BIF) is easier with a more advanced auto focus but possible with any DSLR camera but almost impossible with the new mirror-less cameras. Stick with a DSLR.

ISO is the the digital equivalent of film speed, higher is needed for low light but distracting noise appears as the ISO is raised. Some cameras are better than others at this.

Don't worry about sensor size as at the cheaper end (up to about £1800!) they will all be crop factor ie smaller sensor. Still excellent and will give an apparent increase in focal length.

Again don't worry too much about the number of megapixels,. I gave one of my sons my old Canon 20D and it still takes superb shots although "only" 8 megapixels.

Image stabilisation is very useful especially on long lenses.

At this stage I would go for a cheaper camera as you do not yet know enough to know what you would be happy with. Buying good glass is good advice.

For wildlife field skills are very important and it is vital to get your head around the effects of shutter speeds, aperture, ISO, focussing settings etc so the camera helps you rather than hinders you. It is a very challenging, frustrating but fascinating and satisfying (When it goes right) area of photography. Look in the library for books on using a DSLR, they can be helpful.

Only skimmed over things but hope that helps, do feel free to ask more.