View Single Post
Old 21-03-13, 17:19

I have to echo the sentiment that both a very long lens (super telephoto) and a macro are the two lenses you will more than likely need. What body it is on is important, and you will get what you pay for in terms of quality (generally). I would think that in any wild outdoor situation, you'll never get close enough to an animal that can outrun you to shoot them with anything other than a telephoto. Course if it's a very small animal, like an insect, the macro can handle it.

But beyond gear, if I were you I would read up on hunting techniques. The key to wildlife photography is knowing your subject. For instance, here in the U.S. the best deer hunters know all about deer. They know what they prefer to eat, the trails they travel, when they mate, when they are most active etc. etc. Even things like knowing how to stay downwind of animals so they don't pick up your scent are techniques hunters have been using for hundreds of years, maybe thousands. Cause really, you're a hunter - you're just "shooting" with a camera instead of a gun. Good luck!

Matt