View Single Post
Old 21-11-13, 11:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by miketoll View Post
I will be very interested too as I am considering one to carry as a light weight option without losing much IQ.
Mike I do not think you will see much of a drop in IQ with the latest Sony sensor used in the latest Olympus cameras.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miketoll View Post
What I would like is something that is much better in less than ideal conditions than a compact but does not have the weight or bulk of a DSLR when I do the more casual stuff. I tend to shoot most of my stuff at longer focal lengths so the larger sensor CSC's are probably out as their longer focal length stuff will be large. Which leaves me with micro 4/3 as a, hopefully, good compromise. Yes I realize it is all about compromise but it would certainly be better than a compact with it's tiny sensor.
I would be very interested to know in more detail what the Panasonic 100-300 is like. I know it is consumer grade rather than pro grade but that is all I know.
Guess as a pensioner I am just not as young or strong as I once was for lugging heavy stuff on long walks or up mountains just on the off chance of a good shot!
Like you I am a pensioner and camera weight has a big influence on me and a few months ago I sold all my DSLR kit and went completely MFT.

Most days I walk the dogs around the local country park and my carry round kit is the E-M5 or E-PL5 and the 40-150mm (80-300mm) kit lens which is very light and you can carry it around all day. Hell if I pack big and take the 40-150mm f4-5.6, 14-42mm , 17mm f1.8 and 45mm f1.8 it all fits in a small bag that you would be lucky to fit a decent sized slr and standard zoom in.

Back to IQ, I cannot tell you if it is good enough for you, all I can do is post some real world images and some 100% crops. All the info is at the bottom of the images.

All images taken on my dog walks with the kit m40-150mm lens.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg compare1.jpg (235.2 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg compare2.jpg (183.4 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg compare3.jpg (207.8 KB, 8 views)

http://www.pbase.com/paulsilkphotography