View Single Post
Old 02-09-08, 16:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassan View Post
...............Do you remember the switch from silver metal body, to black?
The Nikon F's passed me by. All about afordability, and in those days these were seriously expensive bits of kit. By the time the 80's arrived I made up for lost time by getting F2's. F2 metering heads I have had are DP-2 , DP-11, and still have DP-12. If you are a fan of the F then check out this site, lots of great images of F kit from that era. This guy is a serious collector .
http://www.destoutz.ch/nikon-f.html

Black v chrome, then that really got underway in the 60's. Black being promoted as the 'pro' finish. Mind you, you did have to pay extra for it. From my receipts from the 1980's a black FM2 was £12 more than a chrome version. Lessons learnt for me from my Pentax Spotmatic from 1968 which was black and new, but that finish was not as durable as chrome and the camera quite quickly showed signs of brassing where the black had worn away. Black was, and still is, the collectors favorite and I had a black F2A that actually gained £200 in value over the three years I had it. This was probably down to keeping it in the base portion of the never ready case so protecting the finish, and never using it in the rough and tumble. So from a durability point of view my other F2's were chrome.

I see the second lens link is from the Nikonos RS. Probably the most famous user of one of the earlier versions was Jacques-Yves Cousteau.

Don