View Single Post
Old 19-11-08, 19:03
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassan View Post
My suggestions:
- Buy an older good 5D or 5D mk II if you can afford it. Keep in mind that the second one will keep the price for a will longer and first is a lot easier achievable these days.
- Sell your 17-40 L F/4 and buy 16-35 L F/2.8 instead
- Definitely keep your 28-70 f2.8 and 70-200 f4. 70-200 F/2.8IS is attractive but you will have to pay alot for your disc surgeries if you want to run around a lot with it, and your other F/2.8s cover the low light.
- Buy a 50mm F 1.4 or 85mm 1.8 (Both non-L) or Sigma 105mm Macro, but I prefer the first for those especial light conditions that you are garantied to run into often.
- Sell your 40D, buy 2 20D. At about $300 each these days, you can't go wrong with this fantastic camera as your main / emergency body (Same battery, EFs capability in additon to EF etc etc).
I am very happy with my 40D but I'd really like to get a full frame camera for portrait work. The 5D is extremely tempting, I'm just looking around for a good deal on one. I'd love to use a 1Ds mkII (or even a mkIII) but I don't see any way I can afford one. I like the fact that the 5D layout is similar to the 40D so it should be easy to get used to using.

I must confess that a 16-35 f2.8 would be nice, but I think the 17-40 f4 would have to do for a while at least. I love the 28-70 f2.8 and wouldn't get rid of it, it's an amazing lens. I'm also a big fan of the 70-200 f4, it's so nice to shot with handheld, the f2.8 IS version is just to much of a beast. I've just got a 300 f4 IS which I think could be fun for portraits. The 50 f1.4 is a definite possibility (I already have the Sigma 105 f2.8 macro) another one for the future.

I definitely won't be selling the 40D (well I have two so I guess one could go), I like the speed and high ISO performance for bird photography.