View Single Post
Old 06-01-06, 19:47

Default Exa500 with extension tubes.

The Exa500 is from 1966 / 67. Due to the high cost of SLR's, Exacta from East Germany and Zenith from USSR, were a more affordable entry into SLR photography.

I bought this for £10 at a boot sale some years ago. It was as much a case of the odd body shape, and the fact it was complete with a set of extension tubes, that marked it as a souvenir of the period worth the money.

Having spent some time on the Macro Forum using up to date kit. I am posting this as a memory of how not so easy life was in the late 60's early 70's for photographers involved in close up work.

The camera lens contains a spring loaded auto diaphram. The bracket joining the lens to the body is to stop the lens down and trip the shutter. It cannot work with a cable release.

I have never actually used the camera as in comparison to other camera's of the period it is very awkward to hold. The shutter release is on the left hand side on the lens. A partial depression of which stops the lens down prior to exposure. The shutter speed dial surrounds the rewind crank.

Don
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Exa 500 with tubes.jpg (53.9 KB, 18 views)