Thread: Nikon 24-70mm
View Single Post
Old 08-03-09, 21:28

Congrats Lello. glad you got the lens you were after.

Quote:
the big problem with the Sigma 24-70 f2.8 is sample variation - I know a few people who have owned this lens, a couple have been very happy with it but others weren't. One chaps copy was shockingly bad, it was enough to put me of getting one when I was looking for something in this range. I'd recommend anyone going for the Sigma to try the copy they're buying before parting with any money.
Know exactly what you mean postcardvc.
Funnily enough, only the other day I was chatting to a fellow photographer whilst waiting for Kim Marsh to turn up, and got chatting about lenses. Was shown another 24-70mm Sigma for his Canon 1D....I said I was happy with mine in terms of glass, but not 100% happy with the slight resistance at the 28-30mm zoom mark approx. He then fished his out of his kitbag,happy with the glass (and price), looked identical BUT his had an extra MF/AF switch as well as the usual push/pull AF/MF focus ring which he was annoyed about!...and his zoom had some resistance around the 60mm mark!....the lenses looked identical with serial numbers not that far apart.
Definately a weird one.

I think similar happened with Saphire's Tokina wide angle zoom. The first example was a shocker, and got sent back to Warehouse express. The replacement though is a stunner, and very sharp

Last edited by Joe; 08-03-09 at 21:35.