View Single Post
Old 26-03-07, 20:09

I moved to digital 2 years ago and really I would not want to go back. I genuinely feel that my photography has improved significantly due to using digital. I had dreadful problems with reciprocity failure, film colour shifts at long exposures, colour shifts due to cold light, films destroyed by the processor (rare but it happened) and other issues. I can see an image the day it was taken, and reshoot if need be. This is useful for seasonal subjects such as fungi and flowers which disappear in a week or two. And digital has greater dynamic range than slide emulsions. Plus I can increase the ISO if the light is dull and the subject is moving. It's as if I had a whole pocket full of emulsions of various ISO speeds. Many people do trumpet the benefits of film, but I have to admit it is not for me, for numerous reasons.

I don't doubt what you say though. And scanners are much better than they used to be. But they are still the limiting factor unless you go to wet chemistry. Perhaps for landscapes MF and LF are the way to go for those who cannot afford to spend £10,000 on the best 35mm gear.