View Single Post
Old 01-05-10, 09:34
Super Moderator

Default high ISO performance

Yesterday a friend asked me to take some test shots with my 5D mkII at ISO3200 and 6400. While doing these I was think how crazy the high ISO performance of current cameras is, the ability to shot in low light is better than it's ever been yet still we all want more. I remember being pleased when I got a camera that could handle ISO800 well enough, and even more please when i got one that shot at that level without the need for noise reduction. I'd not really tested this side of the 5D yet so was pleased to see that 3200 looks quite clean and 6400 would clearly be useable with some careful processing. I took some shots at even higher levels and the noise gets quite bad, but even at 25600 I think they'd do for a smallish print.

I'm not claiming that my camera does this better than others (I know that a D3s would be significantly better), I was just thinking how impressive all the current cameras are in this respect. I wonder just how far the high ISO performance will be pushed in the next few years...

Anyway here are my test shots, forgive the boring subject but it was justa quick test. First set of shots are shot RAW and converted to jpg with no other processing, then resized down to 900x600. The second batch are 100% crops (again with no processing) to show the noise at the pixel level.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ISO3200.jpg (110.7 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg ISO6400.jpg (114.3 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg ISO12800.jpg (126.8 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg ISO25600.jpg (151.8 KB, 20 views)