Thread: Disk Mirroring
View Single Post
Old 30-03-06, 16:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by robski
Have you been unlucky or have I been lucky ? In 18 years I've had 2 go. I have never bought a new drive they have always been pre-enjoyed. I have 2 drives in my machine. From my experience of our customers systems drives typically last 5 year before you see the operating system complaining about disk problems.
I think you've probably been very lucky! The majority of the computers I receive for repair or refurbishment have hard drive faults which are usually terminal, that is, requiring a new hard drive and system re-boot. I have had some computers in 2 or 3 times for replacements, generally it's the primary drive that goes, but quite often it's the slave or secondary drive that succumbs to an head crash, sometimes it just simply dies along with all it's contents. I think if a computer is just used for occasional general work, then it's quite likely a hard drive will last up to 5 years, if the computer is to be used continuosly for all sorts of duties, including graphics file manipulation, then 2 to 3 years is a more realistic life span for a hard drive. My computers are nearly always on and have a fairly heavy workout throughout the day.

The way I see it is, why subject yourself to the frailty of long term hard drive storage system when you can have a safe, robust storage system that lends itself to easy cataloguing. A system which is only operational when you need it instead of being continually on and wearing away it's components as it is with a hard drive. A system which will stand up to knocks and bangs of everyday use without destroying it's disks and the data on them permanently.

nirofo.