Thread: Disk Mirroring
View Single Post
Old 31-03-06, 20:06

Hi Stephen

I was always led to believe the best orientation for installing a hard drive in a computer case, (tower box) is horizontal, that is with the label facing upwards with the power connector on the left hand side at the back of the drive as you look from the front of the case. I was also led to believe that fitting a drive upside down puts unecessary wear on the bearings. I have never come across a computer fitted with the drive upside down, I have however, come across several computers where the drive/s were fitted vertically, that is with the label facing the right hand side of the computer case. I don't think orientation is as critical as it used to be, however, I still think it best to fit them in the conventional horizontal position. I also think that should anyone decide to use hard drives as their preferred long term image storage system, then they should only be installed as either separate secondary disks, (not slaves), or as external hard drives not linked to the system directly but by the use of a USB2 connection. Set up this way if the primary hard disk goes down, then it's unlikely to take your other non slaved or independant hard drives with it together with all your image files and hard work.

nirofo.