View Single Post
Old 03-06-08, 05:05
Super Moderator

Duncan

Thanks for this Firefox tip, I'm not sure I get the desire for a browser that supports icc profiles?.

OK I understand profiles and colour spaces and I work in Adobe RGB in Photoshop, but before posting any images on the net I always convert to sRGB and so should everyone else. Why? Because if not, the vast majority of viewers will not be using browsers that can read icc profiles and will not therefore see your image as you intend. This <<<link>>> shows the proportions of users with which types of browser - & I bet less than 1% of Firefox users know about Duncan's tip - so ~96% of internet users will not be able to read icc profiles.

Images posted in Adobe RGB colour space will tend to look flat and lacking contrast when viewed without an icc profile. The attached printer test files have had the profiles stripped out of them so you guys using browsers that can read profiles can see how your beautiful profiled images will appear to the majority of the world. sRGB is the web 'standard' and if you use the Photoshop "save for web" option, the default settings convert your images to this - I had to turn the defaults off so you can see the difference . If however you are using the usual "save" command you should remember to convert before saving to make sure your images look how you intend.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Printer-Test-file-_Adobe-RGB.jpg (105.5 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg Printer-Test-file-_sRGB.jpg (110.4 KB, 34 views)