View Single Post
Old 10-01-06, 19:05

In January 2004, I was looking for a long Nikon lens but I felt they were too expensive so, I looked and looked and found one in San Francisco via e-bay. I bid and got a bargain, so I thought. Shipping was around £80, a price verified by my lady who works for a carriage company whom could not arrange shipping cheaper. It arrived some 15 days after I bid and it was all good but I had to pay £115 import duty to UPS before they would hand it over.

In the end I did save approx £200 on a new one but it was used. Knowing what I know now I would have searched the U.K. for used.

I cannot describe the stress and anguish I went through for two weeks prior to delivery. This continued when I had it internally cleaned at Nikon late last year.

I often travel abroad through business and I have not found a Nikon dealer offering lower prices after currency conversion, even when I was in the U.S. at a time when the £ was 1.95 to the $.

In my experience I would advise to deal with low-cost online providers in the United Kingdom.