Thread: Tripod advice
View Single Post
Old 26-06-07, 15:15

One important thing to consider when looking at tripod/head combos is the max load. I used to use a Manfrotto 055 leg set with a 128rc head for supporting my Nikon D2x & Sigma 500mm f4.5 (often with teleconverters attached). The weight of this gear is around 5kg. The 055 legs are rated with a max load of 7kg wheras the head is around 4kg. The best bit of advice i came across when selecting a tripod/head combo is to find the max weight of your camera/lens, double it & then select legs/head with a max load in that range. I have since gone the whole hog & bought a Gitzo 1548 with Kirk BH1 ball head & Wimberley Sidekick. This combo will easily cope with anything i can mount on it & the results speak for themselves. If i do eventually manage to get a Nikon 600mm, (lottery providing!) then i know that i wont have to change the legs! Seriously though, my advice is to spend as much as you can on a tripod & remember the max load.
Regards Rob.