View Single Post
Old 17-10-06, 22:59

Thanks everybody. Still reading with interest ... still not sure what I'll do yet.

Dan, I don't think I could go back to a Coolpix 4500 happily. I actually still own one but it has an intermittent exposure problem and overexposes around 50% of the shots it takes now. I could have it mended or buy another one, but the 4MP quality is a little on the low side, especially for landscapes with greenery in them, which always need as much detail as you can throw at them, and it has bad barrel distortion at the wide end - the end I'd mostly be using. Also, it's horribly slow and you can't change settings until the buffer empties (which wouldn't be the problem for the uses I have in mind that it was when I was digiscoping). On the other hand, I loved the way it folded up and slipped into a little belt pouch - these modern things with protruding lenses are never as convenient.

I'll have a look at my father's S2, and then wander into a shop to try a few out in the hand, I think. Meanwhile, more comments are welcome!