View Single Post
Old 31-10-07, 18:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by carman View Post
I just bought an LG 22" LCD widescreen monitor. I have to say I think its great to use. I have played around for ages with various calibration pages on the internet and with the inbuilt software. I had a 20" Sony Trinitron which gave up the ghost but I was surprised how bright this new monitor was in the default settings. I now have the brightness at 30% for all photo use and I think it may still be a bit bright. I wonder if a Spyder or Huey would help in this situation. I notice that the black in the Gretag Macbeth chart is not deep black but on the screen other item are a rich full black. Am I misinterpreting what the chart is about.
I'd say no, you aren't misinterpreting what the chart is all about. I bought a flat panel monitor for a 2nd PC and found its colour reproduction was hugely improved by using a monitor calibration device. It made a difference, though not a massive one, when I used the calibrator on my CRT, but the difference it made to the LCD screen was very appreciable. A work colleague bought a Huey Pro (or to be more accurate, bought the software upgrade to "Pro" from the Huey basic he already had) and was astonished by the difference it made to his 2 screen setup. He'd never been able to get the two monitors looking the same up until then. The basic Huey doesn't allow for 2 profile/2 screens on a single PC.

You can find my reviews of both the monitor and the calibrator in the equipment reviews sub-forum.

Duncan