View Single Post
Old 30-03-10, 12:33

I was interested to read the following review :
" Nikon's recent announcement of the 12.3MP Nikon D5000 adds a new camera to the digital SLR mix that also offers the option of 720p HD movie recording to complement still photography.

With features largely borrowed from the Nikon D90, the Nikon D5000 mainly differs in that it is designed to appeal more to those that are looking for a camera that centers around automatic user friendly operation, while incorporating similar technologies and delivering the same level of image quality provided by the Nikon D90. The D90 remains aimed at enthusiast level photographers that prefer more manual control options and an extended feature set.

That is not to say that the Nikon D5000 is not loaded with advanced capabilities, rather that the camera is specifically designed to appeal more to novice digital SLR users, providing easier to use Menu layouts and simplified buttons and controls. The inclusion of 19 automatic Scene shooting modes and the Vari-angle LCD monitor on the D5000, are features that have previously only been available on Nikon's Coolpix point and shoot cameras."

I notice there are several kit versions available - most come with the 18-55 VR lens or the 18-105 VR lens some offer a second lens as well but the price increases considerably. The 18-55 and 18-105 are both very good walk around lenses and I would recommend either as good places to start. Try and handle the camera with both lenses on and see which is best for you. Any Jessops branch should be able to do that for you - you don't have to buy from them in the end. Nikon have several cash back offers on until 30/4/10 which may help push your budget out a bit. Looking forward to hearing you have taken the plunge

http://www.pbase.com/andy153

http://andy153.smugmug.com/

Equipment: Nikon - More than enough !!!