View Single Post
Old 06-02-11, 10:24
Super Moderator

Personally I don't think that the gap between 55mm and 70mm is an issue, but that will probably depend on what you like to photograph. I would work out which lens you will be using most and invest in the best you can to cover that range. If you buy two midprice lenses you'll probably end up upgrading both of them.

I've never used the 17-55 f2.8 but it does get great reviews, clear a very good choice for a crop camera. I agree with John that that 24-70 f2.8 is an amazing lens, but a difference of 7mm at the wide end would be very noticable - if you need the wide end then it's not a good choice for a cropper.

As for the longer lens, I have a 70-200 f2.8 IS and would recommend it to anyone. Sure it's an expensive lens but AF speed and acuracy are excellent and the image quality is superb (it's very sharp even when shooting at f2.8). It is probably my most used lens in the last year, according to lightroom ~2/3rds of my shots in the last 6 months have been through this lens. IS and good sharpness at f2.8 coupled with a camera with good high ISO performace (like the 7D) mean you can shoot in quite low light without a flash. I have shot a couple of events like this and not having to rely on flash has been very useful. The f4 version of the lens is a good choice on a budget and performs very well, but if you can afford the f2.8 IS it's worth the extra.