View Single Post
Old 27-12-07, 10:53

Hi there, I'm lucky because my house has a four room cellar - so creating a permanent darkroom wasn't a problem for me. I used to love the darkroom phase of creating prints, colour and B/W and slides. However it all came to an abrupt end in 1986 with a burglary that robbed me of all my photographic gear - 20 years of Nikon collecting disappeared in a couple of hours.

Outside factors then virtually stopped my serious photography and I just dabbled. But I did start on computers - Apple Macs. And work had me start on their computerization program - converting a paper record system to a computer one and liaising with a national database. On the side I started to dabble with Digital Photography to enable photographs to be added to the database, and scanners to add negatives as well.

As I approached retirement I started taking up serious photography again and once more got infected by NAS ( Nikon Acquisition Syndrome ).

I have found that programs such as Photoshop enable me to have as much fun on the computer as I used to have in the darkroom. Playing with the various filters and plugins enable me to see on screen, the effects I used to create on paper. They have the advantage however of being reversible and non-destructive to the original - something you can never do on paper in a darkroom - once you have exposed negative/paper to light for a length of time you cannot go backwards. In the computer you can - before you make the final print.

Technophobia may be a curse for some but it is worth while persevering as the results are most rewarding. There are several good books that can give instruction and also I would recommend www.lynda.com - This site is a collection of short video based demos which take you through the basics of many useful programs such as Photoshop, Lightroom, Mac OSX, Microsoft, Aperture etc.

Follow the online tutorials and see how much fun you can have.

May 2008 be a year of photographic joy to us all - God Bless.

http://www.pbase.com/andy153

http://andy153.smugmug.com/

Equipment: Nikon - More than enough !!!