View Single Post
Old 21-08-14, 11:11
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tugboat View Post
is that only possible with a raw image ? or do you only take raw? I didn't like how big raw files are , takes up so much space on the computer,so stopped using it.
I ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS shoot RAW. It always surprises me when people say they don't shoot RAW because of the file size.

Consider this - you spend £'00 if not £'000 on your camera equipment & lenses, and then compromise your image quality by shooting jpg when you can buy a 2Tb external had drive for about £70!!!

Lets put this into some context with the following example

Camera.......Sensor Size.......RAW File.......Jpg File
Canon 40D......10mp............~9-12Mb.......~5Mb
Canon 7D........18mp............~18-22Mb.....~6-10Mb
Nikon d800......36mp..............~72Mb........~30Mb

So OK RAW files are bigger - typically twice the size of fine jpg files BUT jpgs compromise your image quality.

I created a full resolution jpg file from the original unprocessed RAW file, & then carried out the same processing as above. Ive attached the result & as you can see its just not as good. I've attached a 100% crop comparison & you can see that, when you push an image this far, the jpg is WAY noisier in the sky & there's less fine detail in the stonework.

Final thought - that 2Tb hard drive I mentioned above, depending on your sensor, will store between 27,000 (Nikon) - 180,000 (40D) images which equates to 0.2p/image (Nikon) - less than 0.04p/image (40D).

Are you seriously going to compromise the quality your images when it costs so little to shoot RAW?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3302-2-2.jpg (347.4 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg JPG v RAW.jpg (324.3 KB, 13 views)