View Single Post
Old 05-07-06, 21:48

Default Cable release on Nikon D2X

At the time I bought the X I ordered the MC30 remote release thinking stocks must arrive in the UK fairly soon. No such luck so far. Finally being hassled by Stevie for a moon shot I decided to cobble something up to take a cable release.

This is the Mk1 as it uses the short Nikon AR-2 release from the Nikkormat, FM and F2 days. I will need to devise a Mk2 to take a standard cable release. The AR-2 was used for this version as it has a far wider tip than the standard release. I have even glued a piece of felt to the tip face for a softer contact with the camera shutter release button. For a standard release I will need to think up a solution to give the same soft touch on the camera shutter button.

The base is steel covered in rubber to give a non slip surface, with a plain spigot attached to take an old Photax Interfit flash & brollie adaptor ( flash shoe removed ). This is used so the release section can be swivelled to one side or removed to allow access to the camera on / off switch.

The base is drilled and tapped 1/4" British Standard Whitworth for mounting a tripod Q/R plate. I have also incorporated an anti twist pin hole as the camera is not now on the tripod head centre line, and this will prevent any possibility of twist when the camera is at odd angles.

Don
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cable release bracket Mk1.jpg (99.7 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg Mk1 bracket with camera.jpg (147.8 KB, 28 views)