Thread: Saying Goodbye
View Single Post
Old 07-08-16, 06:05

Default Saying Goodbye

Over the past couple of months I have watched a friend of mine deal with the pending loss of his best friend, companion, and service dog. Russell has lived in the apartment complex that I work at for about a year now. Since he has been living there I am the only Maintenance Tech that is allowed in his apartment when he is not home. The reason for this is that he trusts me and most importantly for all of us that have Fur-babies, his dog Pepper loves me and trusts me.

In January Russell approached me about getting a good photo of him and Pepper together. But he told me there was not any rush on it. About two months ago he found a large cyst on her. Being a responsible pet daddy he took her in and the vet scheduled to have it removed in about three weeks. Two days before the surgery the "cyst" popped. Pepper was rushed into emergency surgery and it was thought that they got it all.

Three weeks ago the "cyst" started coming back and the doctor operated again and took sample and removed it. With in a week it was back and almost as large as it was to begin with. On Thursday of last week Russell told me that Pepper had about a month left and that the "cyst" was cancer.

I told him that I would be around all most all day on Friday and I would take a few photos of Him and Pepper. Friday afternoon I was outside and that I ran into him and Pepper and I looked in her eyes. They were no longer bright and full of life, then Pepper did something that she has never done before. As I was petting her and holding her head in my hands she licked my face as if to say goodbye.

I went and got my camera and the photos below are the ones that I took.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RUSSEL AND PEPPER rs.jpg (241.2 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg PEPPER 0001A RS.jpg (189.1 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg PEPPER 0002C-X2 BW RS.jpg (100.1 KB, 4 views)

Dave

ON SMUGMUG

https://dwb-photography.smugmug.com/