View Single Post
Old 12-11-13, 19:29
Super Moderator

The 100-300 is an amazing lens for the money, quite how Panasonic have made such a good lens for the weight and price is amazing. I had one for about a year and was always pleased with the results. It is plenty sharp enough when shooting wide open but obviously does improve when stopped down a bit. The AF seems to be decent enough on it though this is clearly effected by the body it is used one. The best body I put it on was a G3 and I am sure it would be even better on a newer model. I used it alongside a Canon 100-400 and in good light the Panasonic compared very well. It is not quite as good as the Canon but at ~1/3rd the cost that is hardly surprising. I would say that the 100-400 is a better lens (I still have it but have sold the Panasonic) but the Panasonic is much better value.

One huge advantage of the mirrorless cameras is that you do not get issues with back/front focusing as you can on a DSLR. Not the biggest issue but it is nice to know that any camera bought on a mirrorless system should focus acurately even if not as swiftly as on a DSLR.