View Single Post
Old 05-01-16, 13:13
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ade G View Post
There is of coarse a formula for the ideal amount of equipment required for any hobby, be it photography, surfing, mountain biking etc which is that the perfect number of 'tools' required to partake in the hobby effectively is (N +1) where N equals the number currently owned!!
This is why my garage is full of bikes & surf gear & my house rapidly filling with photographic gear.
My lovely wife bless her is happy as long as whilst there is an almost constant stream of couriers knocking on the door with parcels occasionally I brag about how I sold something on ebay for more than half what I paid for it!
I have seen that equation before, there is an alternative G=D-1 where G is the amount of gear owned and D is the amount that would lead to divorce...

My problem is that I know that I don't need anything new and honestly don't think that it will help my photography but I do enjoy shiny new toys and retail therapy is a good for depression (in the short term at least). Late last year I decided to buy an ultra wide angle lens as I didn't have one and thought it would add something different to the bag. However it has only been on the camera to test it and I haven't found a situation yet where I was inspired to use it... I have had the same lens in the past and sold it due to lack of use, looks like a repeat cycle may be on the cards.

My current trade in will give me funds towards a new bit of gear. Torn between a decent compact (they are always fun) and a bridge camera that I can let my kids use then perhaps they will let my wife use her SX50.

Thankfully camera gear holds value fairly well so I can sell unused gear to fund the shopping trips!