View Single Post
Old 10-03-10, 09:51
Super Moderator

Hi Tobe and welcome to WPF

As I understand it the LX3 and the D-Lux 4 are effectively the same camera just with different branding - they have the same sensor, lens and processor, there are just a few differences on the software. Personally I don't think the Leica red dot is worth the extra money.

A while ago I tested an S90 with a view to getting it in replacement to my G9 as it is significantly smaller and more pocketable. However I was quite disappointed in the IQ, it was better than most compacts but still not upto the standard of the G series cameras. From all I've read and seen the G11 is a good deal better, I know that my G9 is capable of producing IQ on a par with a DSLR in good conditions.

The downside of all four of these cameras is that they only perform well at low ISO, so you need good light to get the best out of them. That's where the GF1 comes into it's own... it has a significantly bigger sensor, which means bigger pixels and in turn better high ISO performance. If you can put up with the larger size and higher cost then the GF1 will out perform any of the compact cameras that you are looking at, but only you can know if it's worth the extra. As for lenses the 20 f1.7 pancakes is apparently a very good (not that I've tried) and it's extremely compact which could be helpful. However having one fixed focal length may seem quite limitting so the 14-45 kit lens may be more useful. If you can get to a shop that stocks them it would be a very good idea to try the cameras in the hand and see which feels right for you.