View Single Post
Old 05-06-07, 14:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfie View Post
Roy I think a great deal depends on what you photograph, my main area is macro with a high percentage of flower shots and like Christine I expose to the left as IMO you just cannot afford to "blow" the highlights on flowers or for that matter bugs.

Everything I've read on exposure says expose to the right, but it just does not work for me.
Yep - you are right Wolfie but I did say exposing to the right without blowing the highlights.
I shoot mainly birds and by exposing to the right if I do blow a highlight it is almost always the non bird elements of the shoot (sky and backrounds) which I am not concerned about. But I do capture a lot more dynamic range in the bird itself. Another thing is if you are underexposed and bring it back up in photoshop you are bound to increase noise (esp in the shadow areas).
I still think that deliberately underexposing is not a great thing to do - of course the ideal situation is to get the exposure crack on for the subject you are shooting but a histogram with a blank area to the right is wasting so much.

MY WEB SITE
MY PHOTOSTREAM