View Single Post
Old 27-05-06, 04:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Hoey
Christine,

I think the blurred images is more to do with technique. A move up from 6mp to 10mp requires better technique/support or higher shutter speed to account for the greater resolution of the sensor.
Absolutely not the case - you've been listening to too many Nikon Cult fanboys if you blindly accept that issues with the D200 are invariably user error (and - as an aside - I'm getting a bit sick of people blaming the photographer for problems caused by stupid design decisions by a manufacturer).

The facts are:

The D200 has "biggest ever" AF sensors. Great for some shooting situations, but a terrible design feature for bird photography, because the sensors will routinely overlap the intended subject and acquire focus on something else instead.

The "overloading" of the DX-sized sensor with more mps than it can realistically handle means that each individual photosite on the sensor is less able to capture light because it's so much smaller than say, the photosites on a 6mp sensor of the same physical proportions.

Nikon's "management" of the physics of this approach results in the native signal from the sensor having to be excessively amplified to make up for the lack of signal at the natice sensitivity of the sensor.

This guarantees noise.

To deal with the noise, Nikon have implemented a "blunt instrument" in-camera NR process which knocks the crap out of detail.

This throws away any notional resolution advantage from the extra megapixels on the D200 sensor.

Once BF is back up, I'll link you to a selection of images which can be explained in no other way than this - I'd advise you to take a long hard look at them before buying into the fanboy nonsense that the D200 is perfect except in the hands of incompetent photographers...

Quote:
I would have no worries about the D200s capability to produce sharp quality images. Leifs Pasque Flower in the gallery is a good example of that. http://www.worldphotographyforum.com...puser=956&sl=l
This misses the point entirely.

Where the intended subject takes up the biggest part of the scene, there are no real focussing isses - the AF sensor can hardly get it wrong (though I'd advise you to do a search for "D200" in the BF gallery - there are many OOF, smeared, low-detail images in there which are typical of the poor performance of the D200) - but the point at which the AF module can be fooled is easily reached and is impossible to predict.

Even Nikon admit that the size of the AF sensors can be a real issue, and have provided the following "useful" advice:

"use manual focus"

"shoot images with bigger targets and/or higher areas of contrast".

In summary then: no, the problems I've had with the D200 are sweet FA to do with user error, and before you blindly accept the fanboy rhetoric, you might want to talk to people like me who have been using the D200 for a while in real world situations where it has singularly failed to perform.

I'm pleased for Leif that he finds the D200 to be superior to his D70: but in every single way that is relevant to me (ie in terms of image quality), the D200 is a complete abortion.

Blyth
Northumberland

Canon 40D + 100-400mm
Canon 30D + 50mm f/1.8

Last edited by Keith Reeder; 27-05-06 at 04:15.