WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > General Photography > The Photography Forum

The Photography Forum General Photography Related Discussion.

story behind your photo?

Old 13-07-12, 09:12

Default story behind your photo?

Photos not only capture moments but preserve memories, I believe that photos that are closest to us have some kind of a story behind them.
I was just curious to know if you guys had any. This discussion is about posting photos that bring out such stories that not only describe the technical details but focus more on the situation in which it was shot, its expression etc.
Old 13-07-12, 11:10

In my book there are photos that may be beautiful, informative or clever then there are the one that mean something personal. When you have lost, say, a family member, then you realise that photos of them are worth more than a thousand of the first sort. Then there are some in between which trigger memories of special events. I think we all shoot all three types, we should just make sure we shoot plenty of the personal ones along with the rest.

Ah, I forgot there are also the rubbish ones and I certainly shoot plenty of those!

Last edited by miketoll; 13-07-12 at 11:13.
Old 13-07-12, 23:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by miketoll View Post
In my book there are photos that may be beautiful, informative or clever then there are the one that mean something personal. When you have lost, say, a family member, then you realise that photos of them are worth more than a thousand of the first sort. Then there are some in between which trigger memories of special events. I think we all shoot all three types, we should just make sure we shoot plenty of the personal ones along with the rest.

Ah, I forgot there are also the rubbish ones and I certainly shoot plenty of those!
That is very true mike and very well put.
Old 17-07-12, 08:31

Default Story behind the story

Because I also write I tend to make my captions counterpoint to the photograph. The two can be related but not directly. Since the 1950s my captions have been an important part of the photography and, I think, why so many of them have been published.

http://www.axisweb.org/seCVWK.aspx?ARTISTID=6196
Old 17-07-12, 16:30

There is always a story behind the images I make for myself - whether those are shots of family, or carefully considered landscapes. The latter are meant for a wider audience too, so when editting it can be a challenge to step back from the image's 'back story' and just consider the merits of what is in the frame. The most successful communicate a sense of place to the viewer, but I am often surprised at what people see and read into an image.
Shooting to a brief is a different matter - there I already know what message the image is meant to have, and so try to make that message the focus of the image; in other words, it is someone else's story.