WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > General Photography > The Photography Forum

The Photography Forum General Photography Related Discussion.

What makes a good landscape

Old 26-04-06, 22:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by daedal
Getting away from pixies, which I am sure Stephen and Rob can sort, yes, it is a landscape having the essential 'classic' qualities (derived from painting classes) of interest in the forground, middle ground and background (in this case the sky) and a 'form' to hold it all together. Personally I would have tried to get a more lively colour for the sand as the line between crepuscular and turgid can be a fine one
I am intrigued!!,Daedal,please can you explain to me the meaning of crepuscular and turgid.I could hunt out my dictionary,but I guess this is a photographic term.

http://www.haverigg.com

http://www.birdforum.net/gallery/sho...00/ppuser/2356
Old 27-04-06, 07:36
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine
I am intrigued!!,Daedal,please can you explain to me the meaning of crepuscular and turgid.I could hunt out my dictionary,but I guess this is a photographic term.
Crepuscular is to do with twilight, turbid ( whoops, not turgid) is muddy as in very slow flowing water. I suppose photographers don't ever have time to do crosswords. My family is divided.
Old 27-04-06, 08:14

Quote:
No need to move from your seat - here's the link to dictionary.com. Quick and easy.
http://dictionary.reference.com/

Pol
Old 27-04-06, 23:26

Thanks,Chris and Polly.
Chris,strange you should make the comment re crosswords.Before I was hooked on photography and spending all my leisure hours hooked up to this infernal machine ,I was a Scrabble addict,and I did a newspaper crossword every day,and read the paper.I now have not read a daily rag for several years,and have not completed a crossword,and I have not played Scrabble against the pc.Sad,sad.
Have any other members found that being involved with photography(and in my case birdwatching as well),that previous hobbies and interests have been put on hold as it were.In fact I used to be an avid reader.My reading is now confined to half a book at bedtime.

http://www.haverigg.com

http://www.birdforum.net/gallery/sho...00/ppuser/2356
Old 28-04-06, 10:36
Chris

Quote:
Before I was hooked on photography and spending all my leisure hours hooked up to this infernal machine ,I was a Scrabble addict,and I did a newspaper crossword every day.....My reading is now confined to half a book at bedtime.
Photography has neatly taken the place of work for me! As a self-employed architect I got into photography through the back door needing pictures of buildings to be altered then my own materials library to show clients photo-realistic images of what extensions and alterations would look like. Mixture of 3D modelling in Microstation and montage. That was the interesting bit. Shifting paper piles and fighting rear-guard actions against sloppy and illiterate tradesmen I am happy to lose. My little Nikon was also very good for pictures of the bits of buildings the said tradesmen hoped I wasn't going to see.

Photography goes very well with walking and outdoor stuff and allows lots of rests as I age. If you are calling your computer an 'infernal machine' you may be able to improve the set-up. On odd spells in other offices I was apalled at the lousy monitors, noisy boxes and lack of software one was expected to work with. Reading and listening to music is what I do instead of watching TV, having never had one or the least desire to have.
Old 28-04-06, 11:54

Quote:
Thanks,Chris and Polly.
Chris,strange you should make the comment re crosswords.Before I was hooked on photography and spending all my leisure hours hooked up to this infernal machine ,I was a Scrabble addict,and I did a newspaper crossword every day,and read the paper.I now have not read a daily rag for several years,and have not completed a crossword,and I have not played Scrabble against the pc.Sad,sad.
Have any other members found that being involved with photography(and in my case birdwatching as well),that previous hobbies and interests havebeen put on hold as it were.In fact I used to be an avid reader.My reading is now confined to half a book at bedtime.

I don't bother so much with hard copy newspapers these days but I do like to
keep up with some Nationals and Regionals via the web. A lot of online
news sources are ahead of the hard copy anyway so a lot of the newspapers carry 'yesterday's old news'.

As for reading - I like audiobooks more than print these days, more relaxing
and it means I can listen to them at night and contemplate the universe in
the dark - instead of having to turn pages, wear reading glasses and have to
bother about turning the light on/off.

My husband was always a keen photographer and his older brother was a
birder. He'd kept piles and piles of notes and beautiful drawings and, when
he died a few years ago aged just 45, his notes, bird recordings
and books came to us - so we decided to spend more time concentrating on
photography and learning more about birds and nature in general. My husband
had to take early retirement after a Stroke 4 years ago so that's when I
started to get more seriously involved in Photography too - since he bought
me kit to get me started properly and encouraged and helped me learn to use
it.

We rarely watch our ancient TV - prefer to be doing things in the garden,
away down to the Marshes or along the coast watching wildlife or
taking shots. We also spend a fair amount of time sorting out the garden,
which we have organised to attract birds and other wildlife .... all aimed
at photography as well as the wildlife.

I must confess I do still like to play the occasional word game on Yahoo
games though. 'Keyword' is my current favourite.

Pol
Old 28-04-06, 19:54

Photography is great as it can be combined with almost anything and actually enhances it.
A good landscape to me is one that makes me want to get out there and enjoy the big outside world. The challenge when taking a landscape is to use all the skill in composition, lens selection, filter selection, viewpoint and timing (as in time of day) etc to evoke what you want the photo to say. That is difficult, frustrating but also what makes it so rewarding when it does all come together. As in all photography its all subjective but again it would be boring if it was otherwise.